Who should attend?
The workshop is appropriate for designated safeguarding practitioners of any childcare setting, including childminders.
Full day – 6 hours
This workshop will update knowledge and understanding of current legislation relevant to safeguarding children including Working Together to Safeguard Children 2010, EYFS Framework, The Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006, The Common Assessment Framework for children and young people2007, Childcare Act 2006 and The Children Act 1989 & 2004. Delegates attending the workshop will be able to review and edit the setting’s current safeguarding policy and procedure to ensure that it is up to date, sufficient and incorporates local Safeguarding Children Board policies and procedures.
Delegates will also be able to complete the safeguarding section of the SEF and make appropriate links to Early Years Foundation Stage.
- Appreciate their role in relation to leadership and management of embedding the Safeguarding policy and procedures within their setting
- Be aware of current legislation relevant to safeguarding children and relevant local and national organisations and agencies who can support
- Be able to use tools for the dissemination of information, roles and responsibilities to all staff in the setting and be clear about the importance of sound methods to ensure monitoring of information is in place
- Develop knowledge and understanding of the type of evidence that can be collected to support the process of the SEF and be clear about the links to EYFS Principles, welfare requirements and Practice Guidance
- Be clear about their role in the management of, and recording of information for safeguarding processes including allegations management and attending case conferences
- Be confident to report any allegations or disclosures following the correct local Safeguarding procedures for making a referral
- Be able to cascade information to staff about the key points raised in the workshop